B. N. Powell
I write fantasy, and am working toward publication (though who knows what will come of that?) I am working on some more handicrafts, but I spin wool to yarn by hand.
I read aloud with animation, and do my best to entertain as well as educate.
My whole family is musical; I write Lord of the Rings themed music with my brother which may never leave our living room but is tons of fun to work with.
1. What do you think of J.R.R. Tolkien?
He amazes me. I'm glad I don't have quite his scholarly persistance; I enjoy writing in multiple settings and forms! But he was definitely one of the (if not the one) major innovator of the fantasy genre as we know it.
His vision was gorgeous, and his poetry true.
As C. S. Lewis said "Here are beauties which pierce like swords or burn like cold iron."
Above all that, though, his homefires-and-hankies sense of humor.
2. What are your thoughts on The Lord of the Rings (book and/or movies)?
I was astounded how well the movies conveyed the heart of the book, when I saw it. The book was a read-aloud my mother did with my brother and I (soon I'll read it aloud to our younger siblings for their first time), after we were staunch fans of the Hobbit.
3. Which was your favorite section in the book and/or scene in the movie?
One of the moments that always catches me, is when Sam is caught outside the tower door at the very end of the Two Towers.
But really, there's too much to choose from. It's like asking a bibliophile like me to name a favorite book...
4. What is your least favorite section in the book and/or scene in the movie?
The breaking-up of the fellowship always seems so sad. So in self-interested terms, that.
5. Have you read The Silmarillion, The Unfinished Tales, or any other of Tolkien's related works?
I've been working my way through them. Silmarillion I'm re-reading at the pace of a glacier that frequently stops. I enjoyed the Adventures of Tom Bombadil and other poems. Getting my hands on other books is a little difficult, but I periodically order something new from the library. [I love Farmer Giles! Which is sort of related. Or at least I vote so.]
6. Who is your favorite LotR character and why?
Mm. For sheer joy at his moments of splendor--Pippin.
7. Who is your least favorite LotR character and why?
I am disappointed with Boromir. Of course, he shows off his brother to such advantage...
8. What are your thoughts on technology?
If the internet wasn't the only way I got to socialize from this organic homestead, and music was easier to come by live, I'd spit at it.
9. What are your thoughts on nature?
I should get out of the house more often. I am a bit of a poet, actually. I can spend a while just watching blades of grass waver in the wind.
10. What are your thoughts on war?
It's ugly. It happens.
11. What do you think are your top five positive characteristics?
12. What do you think are your top five negative characteristics?
~Pharisaical. (i.e. do it by the book)
~Shy to the point of rudeness
~Avoidant of things I'm worried about!
13. Given the choice, which race would you NOT want to be?
Man. Far too prosaic.
14. If you could live anywhere on Earth (modern, not Arda), where would it be?
I would love to return to Japan where I lived, but I want to see the world too! Boston? Singapore?
15. Despite whatever your thoughts on war might be, if you were absolutely forced to go into battle, what weapon would you wield (can be modern or historical)?
A bow, with a full quiver, preferably. I like deliberate, one-at-a-time exercises.
16. What are your thoughts on death?
It isn't the end of the spirit, and there is a time for it, just as there is a time for any season in life.
17. What are your favorite books (excluding LotR)?
Yeah, I should have guessed that was coming. George Eliot's Middlemarch could go here, I guess.
18. Describe your biggest role model.
Someone who is willing to die to save other peoples' lives, or to stand by what they know is right, have my unending respect.
19. How did you hear about sorting_realm/tolkiens_realm?
Sifting through the many LotR themed communities here for something, ANYthing that looked like it had intelligent discussion as a main part of the action. I clicked through to discuss_realm first before realizing the "realm" titled ones were related.
20. If you had the One Ring, what would you do with it? Be honest!
Take a quick glance around for Frodo, to foist it off on the poor hobytla.