Talents: Music, Martial Arts, Writing
1. What do you think of J.R.R. Tolkien? One of the greatest authors of all time, the Father of modern fantasy, and possibly the most visionary and imaginative mind that ever existed.
2. What are your thoughts on The Lord of the Rings (book and/or movies)? I first became introduced to Tolkien when I was about eleven years old; he has been the most influential cultural figure of my life since then. I have gone through at least six copies of the trilogy, three copies of the Silmarillion, felt more at home in Middle Earth than in my own reality, and written countless pieces of music about his creations. I waited my entire life for the movies, lived through the horror of the Bakshi abortion, lived through the horrors of the animated LOTR and the Hobbit, and rejoiced at the Jackson masterpiece.
3. Which was your favorite section in the book and/or scene in the movie? In the book, my favorite scene was the Battle of the Pellenor Fields, especially the arrival of Aragorn in the Black Ships. In the movie, I guess it would have to be the last charge of the Rohirrim.
4. What is your least favorite section in the book and/or scene in the movie? I have no "least favorites" in either one, I would have to say. I loved every word and moment in both.
5. Have you read anything like the Silmarillion or The Unfinished Tales? Not really; they are pretty unique.
6. Who is your favorite LotR character and why? Aragorn, without a doubt. He has been my idol since I read the books as a child.
7. Who is your least favorite LotR character and why? Saruman; he is a perfect example of how power corrupts, a quality I absolutely despise.
8. What are your thoughts on technology? It's overrated and has weakened humanity; don't care for it much, although I use it as a neccessity. Like right now......
9. What are your thoughts on nature? I am a Celtic pagan and a Zen Buddhist with strong Shinto leanings; that should give an idea.
10. What are your thoughts on war? Men go to war for one reason; someone has something that someone else wants. To defend yourself, your land, and your people is honorable and sometimes necessary; if you must fight, fight well and make your enemy fear you.
11. What do you think are your top five positive characteristics? Honorable, loyal, creative, balanced, and kind.
12. What do you think are your top five negative characteristics? Impatient, cynical, secretive, solitary, and sometimes imperious.
13. Given the choice, which race would you NOT want to be? Orc, of course.
14. If you could live anywhere on Earth (modern, not Arda), where would it be? It depends on my mood. I love the forests of northern Europe and the moors of Ireland (yes, I have been there), but I am utterly happy right now in the tropics of Florida. I might change my mind again next year, should the wanderlust take hold of me once more.
15. Despite whatever your thoughts on war might be, if you were absolutely forced to go into battle, what weapon would you wield (can be modern or historical)? A katana.
16. What are your thoughts on death? It's the next step in eternity.
17. What are your favorite books (excluding LotR)? Far too many to list here; favorites in the same idiom as we are discussing would be The Once and Future King by T.H. White, The Arthur trilogy by Bernard Cornwell, Firelord by Parke Godwin, and American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
18. Describe your biggest role model. My first sensei; he was like a foster father to me, and personified everything I hold noble in humanity.
19. How did you hear about tolkiens_realm